As a Data Architect, you will report into the IT Application Operations team and will be directly responsible for creating, designing, and developing the organization’s data models and data warehouses. You will have an opportunity to work closely with a variety of business partners, from IT database administrators to senior business leaders, in order to develop effective solutions that focus on stakeholder needs. Based on the data storage, retrieval, and reporting needs of the business, you will have a direct hand in defining and promoting best practices and standards for information architecture and management. Each day will surely be unique, requiring an ability to think strategically, be creative, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills!
WHO YOU ARE
- Knowledgeable. You are highly experienced in the creation, development and design of a data warehouse and overall data architecture. You have experience with everything from loading and manipulating data in a data warehouse to creating, defining, and managing data models and structures that successfully support the achievement of business goals
- Results-Focused. You demonstrate an inherent sense of urgency to drive great results, while being precise in executing your work. You are facile with creating and communicating a clear project plan, tracking progress, and keeping your business partners in the loop along the way. You're also interested in the "why" so that you can identify opportunities that represent unconventional solutions to the problems you are trying to solve.
- Solution-Oriented. You like thinking outside the box to come up with innovative points of view on new data warehouse and data architecture challenges, relying on your previous experience to help guide you along the way. For example, you find it to be a fun challenge to gather stakeholder needs and craft them into technology solutions that uphold the quality, completeness, security, and integrity of the organization’s critical data and information.
- Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are concise, articulate, and effective, providing an ability to interact with all levels/various teams across the organization, be understood, and develop trust and rapport within the organization.
- Technologically Savvy. Microsoft SQL server is a something that you know like the back of your hand. You’re comfortable using data modeling tools to help you build scalable solutions, through automation and successful manipulation of data. You also have a strong skill set in relational database concepts, design, and administration, in addition to Big Data technologies and modern data architectures.
- A Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, while confidently interacting with a variety of individuals, across all levels of the organization. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Enable the data science team by providing them with the tools and data models using a cloud environment that they need in order to run various statistical methods for analysis.
- Partner with the data analytics and business intelligence teams in creating, defining, and managing a unified data model and to design data-driven solutions that focus on stakeholder needs.
- Design and document architecture at multiple levels (high-level to detailed) and across multiple views (conceptual, logical, physical, data flow and sequence diagrams)
- Create scalable and maintainable Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) code to load and manipulate data in the data warehouse.
- Integrate near-real time (NRT) data replication using on-premise SQL Server and cloud services including, but not limited to Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and/or AWS.
- Lead discussions to document and determine database standards and procedures for the organization’s data governance programs; define and promote best practices and standards for information architecture and management.
- Build an inventory of transactional databases and tables necessary to implement data models that support the needs of the business.
- Design and implement data processes and structures that successfully support and help to achieve business goals.
- Translate business requirements into conceptual and detailed technology solutions.
- Ensure the quality, completeness, security, privacy, and integrity of data throughout the data model lifecycle.
- Handle special projects as necessary/assigned, as well as training initiatives surrounding the organization’s data architecture and best practices.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or appropriate combination of education and experience is required.
- 8+ years of database experience, with relational database management systems (RDBMS) to include database analyst responsibility (physical and logical database design) and database administration responsibility. Must be experienced in designing, maintaining, and optimizing databases that are 1TB in size and larger. Must also be familiar with relational database concepts, design, and administration, in addition to Big Data technologies and modern data architectures.
- 4+ years of experience in data warehouse architecture, building data marts using Microsoft SQL server, SQL based business intelligence solutions, using data modeling tools such as ERwin or ER/Studio, developing scalable “extract, transformation, and load” (ETL) solutions in order to automate and manipulate data in the data warehouse, and serving as a solution architect and/or lead developer role in a data warehouse environment.
- 2+ years of experience working on data governance initiatives.
- Familiarity and practical experience in working with modern public cloud environments such as Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and/or AWS.
- Experience with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) functionality of Microsoft SQL server, with regards to SQL server database integrations with other databases and software.
- Proven strong work ethic, ability to make decisions, and adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment, without sacrificing quality of work product. Detail-oriented and well-organized, with an exceptional ability to multitask.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Available to provide weekend and after-hours support, as required by the position.