Director of BI & Statistical Data
As the Manager of Business Intelligence, you'll be responsible for transforming Business Intelligence (BI)and enable the organization to be data-driven. In this role, the Manager of BI will define the strategy for business intelligence. Partnering with the business, the Manager of BI will also be defining the roadmap to educate, mentor and drive adoption of BI across the different departments within the company. This is a highly visible role with broad accountability and as such, will interface with all key stakeholders both in Technology and the business. The key role of BI is widely recognized and valued at all layers of the organization. The team has a strong history of understanding our business, the industry, and supporting our leaders with accurate and timely information.
This role requires a strong blend of business, technology, and personnel management. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in working across functional areas, team leadership, emerging technologies, and executive engagement. You will also handle special projects, as assigned by the CEO, CFO or COO.
- Develop and execute to a multi-year roadmap and build out predictive analytics capabilities for the organization.
- Engage and foster a collaborative team environment through effective coaching and leadership.
- Continuously communicate the highest priority strategic initiatives to keep the team focused on the right things.
- Own, lead and facilitate all presentations on key performance metrics to the executive leadership team
- Partnering with IT, lead the development, implementation and maintenance of a scalable data management solution that is aligned to the strategic objectives and the reporting needs of the organization.
- Drive data partnership strategy that delivers beneficial yield to predictive modeling.
- Build and publish transportation market analysis for the benefit of AFN and its customer and carrier partner base.
- Work with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new information technologies, particularly in the areas of BI, analytics, and data warehousing.
- 8+ years of experience in the quantitative analysis field required; 5+ years of experience in data science role focused on solving analytical problems using statistical/quantitative approaches (or equivalent).
- Experience with common analysis tools including but not limited to SQL, R, and Python. Demonstrable familiarity with code and programming concepts.
- Experience with cloud-based code deployment such as Amazon Web Services preferred.
- Extensive practical experience with production machine learning systems.
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (Engineering, Applied Sciences, Finance) preferred but not required. Master’s degree in technical field preferred but not required.
- Excellent educational background in statistics, applied math, computer science, operations research, economics, or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Background in data science, machine learning and statistical methods
- Strong experience in machine learning (text classification, clustering, etc.)
- Strong understanding of statistical analysis, experience with mining large data sets, and delivering statistical and predictive models in statistical environment.
- Maintain a balance between building principled, mathematically rigorous solutions and shipping things quickly.
- Excellent execution and organization. This team will be working with engineers and product leads at the forefront of the development cycle. To excel in this role, the Director of Data Science and Pricing should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Self-starter and collaborative leader. Everywhere this individual goes, they can’t help but mobilize people, build things, resolve problems, get into the details, go above and beyond, and draw out the best in people. The Director of Data Science & Pricing is a doer and motivator of others.
- Must possess exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to interact with and establish trust and credibility with all levels of the organization. Must possess strong relationship-building skills with the ability to influence internal stakeholders absent a reporting relationship.
- Passion for creative problem-solving and comfort with ambiguity; extensive experience using data to solve critical and complex questions.
- High levels of ethics, personal discipline and professionalism required.