The level of knowledge and skills required is typically consistent with a candidate possessing a technical foundation in computer science or extensive software experience in an engineering discipline. This is typically equivalent to having a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or computer science, or in lieu of a degree, at least 3-5 years of experience in the field of systems administration.
· Knowledge of UNIX systems administration, particularly Red Hat Enterprise/CentOS.
· Knowledge of IT services such as mediawiki, Wordpress, and ServiceNow or other ticketing systems.
· Knowledge of common scripting languages, including perl, python, ruby and shell.
· Knowledge of compiling software written in languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
· Problem-solving and learning skills.
· Skills conducting problem triage and communicating with internal customers about potential solutions.
· Flexibility in dealing with assignments and working on several projects simultaneously.
· Ability to think and work effectively in an environment that has rapidly shifting and often contradictory demands and priorities.
· Ability to work on individual projects and as a member of a team.
· Interest in computational science, parallel computing, cloud computing multimedia, and their systems implications.
· Strong interest in emerging technologies and applications, and an ability to apply them to the computing environment.
· Prior help desk or user support experience is preferred.