Under the general direction of the Director of Practice Management and Chief Officer of Practice Operations and according to established Firm policies and procedures, the Practice Manager supports specified National and Local Department Heads and Practice Group Leaders in daily operations, and business management of legal departments and practice groups to drive the strategic and profitable growth of the firm. Provides targeted, strategic support and operates as the trusted advisor of National and Local Department Heads and Practice Group Leaders in the execution of department and practice group initiatives. Implements firm-wide strategic projects and initiatives at the department and practice group levels. Collaborates across offices, practice groups, and infrastructure departments, including Attorney Development, Attorney Recruiting, Marketing and Business Development, Finance, Information Technology, and other various functional teams on related projects and initiatives. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters. – LOCATION CAN BE CHICAGO, NEW YORK or WASHINGTON, D.C.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned.
Practice Operations and Administration:
- Provide highest level of service to department heads, practice group leaders and attorneys. Manage general daily administration and business operations of the department; facilitate implementation of strategic business planning action items; management of department communications, meeting agendas, minutes, materials and correspondence.
- Liaise with key functional and operational teams on behalf of the legal department. Where appropriate, facilitate execution of firm-wide initiatives at the practice group or department level. Identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiencies across practice and firm operations.
- Support staffing partners and department leadership with workflow coordination and attorney utilization. Address attorney assignments and performance issues as needed.
- Lead the implementation and execution of knowledge management initiatives and manage practice group resources. Oversee content development for practice group intranet sites, including practice group resources, news and events and calendars. Perform regular audits of practice group and department resources to ensure attorneys have appropriate support.
- Facilitate the annual business planning process for practice groups. Collaborate with department and firm leadership to develop department and practice group business strategies. Oversee execution of and progress on practice group strategic business plan action items. Manage reports and presentations to firm-wide administration on business plan progress. Ensure that practice and department initiatives are in line with the goals and objectives of the business plan and the firm strategic plan.
Financial Analysis and Management:
- Review and analyze department financial performance, including attorney production and utilization, department and practice revenue, budgets and forecasting. Collaborate with Finance team members to respond to attorney requests for financial information.
- Partner with the Marketing and Business Development, Attorney Development, Attorney Recruiting, Information Technology, Finance, Human Resources, and other functional teams on related projects and initiatives, including Lateral Attorney Onboarding.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. or M.B.A. preferred. Minimum of five years relevant experience in a law firm. Client service experience a plus.
- Computer proficient with knowledge and understanding in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy, diplomacy and discretion, efficiently follow written and verbal instructions, provide information and maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys, firm management, clients, staff and outside contacts.
- Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills including record keeping, data collection and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e- mail or verbally.
- Highly motivated, strategic focus: ability to understand and support Firm goals, services, culture and strategy in order to present self and the Firm in a positive, professional manner. Understand and stays up to date on current legal market trends, news, and innovations.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in managing multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, high-stressed, detail-oriented work environment. Ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
- Dependable team player with high energy, creativity and vision who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently within scope of the position’s responsibilities as a decision-maker and contributor on all levels.
- Management experience including coaching, mentoring, and strong delegation skills.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision and logic with knowledge of all aspects of the business development process in order to perform the essential duties of the position. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 10 pounds.
- Ability to work overtime.