Senior Network Engineer
The person in this role is expected to be a Cisco network subject matter expert. They will be responsible for designing, installing and troubleshooting WAN/LAN/wireless network systems to meet the functional business objectives. Other responsibilities include:
- Research, analysis, and implemention of software patches or hardware changes to fix any network deficiencies;
- Strong routing experience in an MPLS environment with a thorough understanding of QoS for IP Telephony;
- Understanding of Cisco VXML gateways, SIP, Call Manager (IPT)
- Leads any design discussions of the network architecture and infrastructure;
- Develops network standards;
- Performs capacity and resource planning, assessing network risks and contingency planning;
- Analysis of network diagnostic and monitoring tools;
- Responsibility for network security and enforcing best practices;
- Developing effective documentation to clearly articulate technical designs, issues/constraints, procedures, etc.; and
- Involvement in the evaluation of new products and services.
30% Operational Support – Design and optimization of network equipment including routers, switches, firewalls, and voice gateways to maximize network and call center uptime. Develop maintenance routines for voice and network infrastructure. Manage security processes for network elements and provide mitigation plan for security issues. Responsible for software updates and patches on various nodes on the network. Recommend sound network recommendations to best facilitate ongoing technology projects.
40% Problem-Solving – Provides leadership in solving network problems. Recommends network improvements to meet changing business requirements. Proactively analyzes vulnerabilities in the network and provides a strategy for mitigation. Effective use of existing troubleshooting tools to quickly resolve issues. Analyzes IP infrastructure for vulnerabilities in network software, hardware, and network. Makes recommendations to minimize network single points of failure.
30% Vendor Management – Interacts with outsourced and network vendors to resolve issues. Coordination and installation of wide area networks, coordinating carriers, circuit installations, configuration and hardware deployment. Works with management to develop strategy for operational SLAs to ensure contractual obligations are met.
Education, Licensing, Certification, and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
· CCNA or CCNP certification preferred
· Minimum 8 years’ experience in computer systems and network technologies, including knowledge of Cisco IPT technologies
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong routing experience in an MPLS environment with a thorough understanding of QoS for IP Telephony
- Working knowledge and deployment experience of BGP, OSPF and EIGRP in complex WAN topologies
- Voice gateways configurations (SRST, MGCP)
- VoIP protocols (TDM, SIP, H.323)
- Experience with QoS design, development, and management
- Experiaqnce with Wireless networks and technologies
- Experience with Cisco PIX/ASA and router-based IOS firewalls
- Experience with IDS/IPS technologies
- Working knowledge of management tools (CiscoWorks, Solarwinds, Cisco Prime)
- Understanding of telephony installation and support, including Cisco Call Manager, Cisco Unity, Cisco UCCE and CVP applications
- Experience with compliance regulations (PCI, HIPAA, SOX) a plus
- Understanding of operating system fundamentals (UNIX, Linux, Windows, etc.) a plus.
- High level of initiative and resourcefulness
- Excellent organizational skills
- Follows management guidelines for proper project reporting
- Comfortable in a small team environment using multi-tasking abilities
- Proven documentation skills with consistent accuracy of details
- Works effectively without supervision
- Superior customer service skills
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in written form