The Applications Engineer's primary responsibility is to provide 3rd level support for Firm and legal applications such as Microsoft Office, Exchange/Outlook, iManage, Workshare, Interaction, web browsers, litigation support applications, tax applications, accounting applications, practice management applications, etc. Prior experience and strong working knowledge of these systems is required. The Applications Engineer exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the Director of Applications and according to established Firm policies and procedures.
The Applications Engineer is also responsible for performing project work from inception to completion and providing support to Level I and/or Level II help desk by performing essential duties personally or in conjunction with other members of the IT Department. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support for Windows-based applications on a standardized Windows desktop platform.
- Provide support for various cloud-based applications, including configuration and integration with on-premise systems.
- Maintain existing applications.
- Interact with attorneys, clients and vendors to resolve problems.
- Coordinate with team members to maintain current desktop standards.
- Provide technical support for a variety of client/server applications including, but not limited to, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Citrix/Xen, VMWare View, Exchange/Outlook, SCCM, iManage, InterAction, litigation support applications, accounting applications, SAP and various legal departmental applications.
- Track and document support activities and assets using the help desk call tracking system.
- Provide help desk with technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems or questions about programs.
- Install and test programs, adhering to security guidelines set forth by security team.
- Work with trainers to provide guidelines for training materials.
- After-hours support is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Technology or related specialty and five or more years related experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior project management experience and strong working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Exchange/Outlook, Active Directory, SQL, SCCM, Citrix Xen or VMWare View and iManage is required. Experience with SAP is a plus. Must be quality and results oriented.
- Experience working in a law firm supporting software used to meet legal practice requirements is a strong plus. Previous software applications experience within a larger organization is preferred.
- Proactive with the ability to identify, define, and analyze complex applications’ issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment with demonstrated troubleshooting, follow-through, and critical-thinking skills in order to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, detail-oriented and consistently changing work environment with the ability to make decisions based upon results of research.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic with comprehensive knowledge of Windows-based, client-server applications in order to conduct detailed analysis of applications’ project work including testing and installation.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy and efficiently follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to provide technical support and training to a diverse group of users having different levels of computer expertise including attorneys, support staff and clients. In addition, maintain effective relationships with vendors and consultants.