Cloud Solutions Engineer
Looking for an experienced Cloud Engineer with working knowledge of GCP and/or AWS technologies. This team is instrumental in transforming how IT services are leveraged across Apex Clearing in support of our continued innovation and growth. You will be joining a team responsible for strategy, architecture, planning, and execution of projects that transform how Apex customers and employees utilize IT services.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is Passionate. You have a genuine passion for technology. You love using technology differently to maximize opportunity and impact for customers and you have a way of bringing out that same fire in the people you work with
- Is motivated. You’re driven to be the best – whether that’s decreasing system down time or making an innovative change to “how it’s always been done” resulting in a more efficient way of supporting the customer. You challenge yourself by setting goals and exceeding them
- Is collaborative. You’re excited to work with like-minded peers. You know how to collaborate not only within the department, but also across the organization.
- Wants to make an impact. You’re looking to do amazing work. You value preventing problems from occurring over being caught in the chaos zone putting out fires and looking for the “hero” spotlight
- Strives for frictionless IT – You understand the importance of building great partnerships. You promote a seamless, smooth, user friendly and reliable environment.
What you’ll do all day:
- Participate in system design planning, review, and implementation of enterprise solutions built in GCP, AWS and other public cloud platforms.
- Develop and maintain standards for cloud platforms, operating systems, blueprints and artifacts.
- Execute large and transformational infrastructure projects (e.g. on-premises to public cloud infrastructure migration).
- Deliver programmable infrastructure (Infrastructure as Code) and automation/orchestration of OS and applications.
- Recommend modifications to systems in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance for delivering application and infrastructure in the cloud.
- Develop containers and serverless platform strategy and delivery roadmap.
- Commitment to quality, reliability, uptime, customer satisfaction, and data security.
- Participate in agile infrastructure software development, scrum, kanban and sprints.
- Subject matter knowledge for engineering compute and storage infrastructure in the cloud.
- Have subject matter knowledge of implementing CI/CD for Infrastructure as Code.
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We’re a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash and Robinhood. We’ve got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You’ll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customer’s problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You’ll be able to see your direct impact on our staff, office and with our clients. You won’t be just another talented technologist.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don’t like change. This is not a job for someone who likes “predictable.” The job is based on the unknown which inevitably means change. If you like to know what you’re going to do every day, you may not like working on this team. You have to go with the flow here.
- You’re not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our users and customer. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
- You avoid challenges. We’re building something special. With this journey will come unknown and unpredictable challenges so each day you can expect to venture down an unfamiliar path. If you’re not comfortable with that, this job is probably not your thing.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- Project delivery experience with GCP and/or AWS technologies.
- Previous hands-on experience with the design, implementation, operation, and maintenance of GCP and/or AWS compute, security, logging, and monitoring.
- Experience with container technologies (e.g. AWS EKS, Docker, AWS ECS, GCP GKE, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Working knowledge and hands-on experience with the design, implementation, operation, and maintenance of GCP/AWS storage technologies (EBS, S3, EFS, Glacier, AWS Storage Gateway, etc.)
- Hands-on project experience with Linux systems (Ubuntu or similar distributions) along with system services like DNS/DHCP, SYSLOG, SSH, SFTP, SSL, etc.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals and network requirements for a hybrid cloud environment.
- Demonstrated experience migrating on-premises applications and infrastructure to cloud-based offerings.
- Ability to code/script in administrative type language (e.g. Python, PowerShell, Bash, etc.).
- Experience with configuration management tools, (e.g. Puppet, Salt, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience with orchestration technologies (e.g. Terraform, AWS CloudFormation, VMware vRealize Automation, etc.)
- Experience with cloud-based software development tools and methodologies (e.g. Git, CI/CD, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline, Build Automation and Testing, etc.)
- Experience with migration tools (e.g. AWS App Discovery Svc, Server Migration Service, Snowball, etc.)
- Experience in systems management in a cloud computing environment including the use of virtualization, load balancing, auto-scaling, networked storage, etc.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining servers, storage arrays, and clusters.
- Experience evaluating and introducing a wide variety of systems and storage technologies and tools.
- Experience creating both short and long-term cloud computing roadmaps based on an understanding of the organizational strategic directions, technology and business needs.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and work well in a distributed team environment where the goal is to spread knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and maintain technical documentation.
- Knowledge of Agile software development methodology.
- Experience with data center technologies (i.e. EMC Extreme I/O, Pure, VMWare, etc.) strongly desired.
- Experience in operating on-prem and cloud infrastructure/applications strongly desired.
- Experience in a regulated industry strongly preferred.
- Financial Industry experience a plus.