This position is responsible for design, configuration, day-to-day support, and capacity planning for the LAN, WAN and WLAN infrastructure including routing. switching and firewall devices. Specific duties include configuration, development, asset management, platform specification and performance monitoring. Additionally, this position will evaluate and implement new technologies, policies, and procedures for business network operations.
• Provide Tier 2/3 operational support via Service Now ITSM and Solarwinds Monitoring.
• Establish network device platform standards.
• Establish and maintain wire and fiber standards. Works as a resource / member to project teams.
• Provides leadership on medium to large Network projects.
• Responsible for communicating / coordinating Networking changes within the organization via Change Advisory Board.
• Responsible for maintaining strong vendor relationships with major suppliers.
• Review network and systems monitoring metrics to ensure that client needs are being met.
• Create procedures for second level support teams.
• Prepare design plan and execute / pilot all short and long term actions to complete network and infrastructures related projects.
• Perform reviews and provide support to network strategies before implementation.
• Develop and share processes and policies.
• Evaluate risk on critical business activities and determine / engage action plans to reduce the risk level / impact of outages, on network and infrastructures.
• Train the others team members and develop their expertise.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 3+ years of experience with network engineering.
• 3+ years of experience with VPN technologies, i.e. site-to-site, mesh VPN, client-to-site
• 3+ years of experience with data communications technologies.
• 3+ years of experience with using IP routing protocols, including OSPF and BGP.
• 3+ years of experience with using LAN switching technologies.
• 3+ years of experience with datacenter and infrastructure operations.
• 3+ years of experience with network security countermeasures, including firewalls, access control lists, intrusion detection/prevention, content filtering and encryption devices.
• Significant experience understanding copper and fiber cabling materials and installation techniques with the ability to install if required.
• Understanding of ITIL methodology.
• Proactive in problem solving and ability to see the “bigger picture”.
Skills and Characteristics:
• Network certifications preferred.
• Cisco telephony certification preferred.
• Fortinet and Checkpoint Firewall experience required.
• Must be customer service orientated.
• Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Understanding of connectivity of carrier services to phone systems, including T1, Metro-E, PRI, POTS, and DS3.
• Must have a desire to continuously learn and be engaged with new systems and services as well as flexible to change, addition and transition of duties.
• Have a passion for delivering solutions and enjoy being engaged with new and challenging circumstances every day.
• Candidate must be well organized and excellent at documentation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience