The Network Engineer exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the Director of Infrastructure & Datacenter Operations and the CIO and according to established Firm policies and procedures. The Network Engineer is responsible for achieving optimum use of computer networks in all Firm office locations. Responsibilities include assisting in needs analysis, procurement support, installation, training and problem resolution for the local and wide area networks; initiating configuration, operation and administration of network server hardware, operating systems and communications links; and defining and implementing highly available network architectures that meet the Firm’s business objectives and service level agreements (SLAs). The Network Engineer may also be directly responsible for task completion. The essential duties are performed personally, through delegation to subordinates and/or in conjunction with other members of the IT Department. This position maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
- Work with network engineers in all Firm office locations to provide LAN/WAN network design and control resulting in inter-departmental and intra-departmental information sharing.
- Work with others to define facilities to support end user needs and recommend appropriate network configurations to meet such needs and requirements.
- Implement or assist in the implementation and maintenance of network platforms such as switches, routers, gateways, WAN Accelerators, load balancers, VPN, QoS, firewalls, application and device servers, and Internet or Intranet devices and connections.
- Perform or assist in the design, configuration, monitoring and optimization of local and wide area networks for required performance, maximum availability, minimal maintenance and reasonable costs. Design and troubleshoot protocol routing.
- Serve as liaison with other local Network Administrators and Help Desk on LAN, WAN or other Internet work-related issues. Troubleshoot network problems or systems failure involving hardware and software to determine the causes and possible solutions. Implement solutions to resolve problems as directed.
- Establish documentation standards for LAN, WAN and network device configuration including diagrams and maps to ensure network resiliency, performance and ease of utilization.
- Develop, maintain and update a library of technical documentation; write periodic technical bulletins for other areas of Information Technology Department.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related specialty; or four or more years equivalent technical/professional experience related to the design, installation, and maintenance of local and wide area networks preferably in a large legal or professional services firm; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CCNA, CCNP or CCIE certified (CCNP and/or CCIE optional).
- Deep understanding of network protocols (i.e. IPSEC, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS), experience with Cisco infrastructure equipment including, but not limited to, switches and routers, experience with F5 BigIP or Citrix NetScaler load balancers, Riverbed WAN Accelerators, SolarWinds IPAM and NPM, hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
- Excellent analytical and technical skills requiring an aptitude for detail, precision, and logic
- comprehensive knowledge of VMWare ESX Hypervisor, Windows 2016 Server platforms, Microsoft Active Directory and Cisco networking equipment in order to conduct detailed analysis of complex LAN/WAN network designs and controls, documentation standards and device configurations, protocol routing, local and wide area networks, technical documentation, and system and needs analysis.
- Proactive with the ability to identify, define, and analyze complex network/systems issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment with demonstrated troubleshooting, follow-through, and critical-thinking skills in order to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, detail-oriented, and consistently changing work environment. Ability to make decisions based upon results of research.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy and efficiently follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to provide technical support and training to a diverse group of users having different levels of computer expertise including attorneys, support staff, and clients. In addition, maintain effective relationships with vendors and consultants.