Pitch and Proposal Manager
The Pitch and Proposal Manager exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of the Senior Pitch and Proposal Manager and according to established Firm policies and procedures. The Pitch and Proposal Manager provides support for the Firm’s proposal function with responsibility for responding to requests for proposals (RFPs), developing pitch documents and managing multi-practice pitch opportunities, both independently and in collaboration with business development professionals. The Pitch and Proposal Manager is expected to understand the Firm’s practices and their distinguishing characteristics such that he or she can draft original content and maintain existing content through regular updating. This position also works with other business professionals in the Firm to collect, edit and organize content in support of business development opportunities. Essential duties are performed individually or in conjunction with other members of the Marketing and Business Development Department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Support the Senior Pitch and Proposal Manager with the overall process, RFP responses, proposals and pitch materials.
- Independently manage RFPs from receipt to submission.
- Work closely with the Firm’s marketing and business development personnel to develop timely, high-quality and competitive proposals.
- Work independently with Firm lawyers to develop proposals, capability statements and pitch materials.
- Draft proposal portions such as introduction, overview, project approach and cover letter.
- Draft, edit and proofread qualification statements, pitch books, proposals and other related materials.
- Liaise with the Firm’s Director of Pricing to develop and articulate pricing strategies that achieve client and Firm objectives within defined opportunities.
- Maintain consistent brand identity through document templates.
- Coordinate the design process for specialty materials with the Creative Services team.
- Coordinate with the Department’s Experience Specialist to ensure all content is updated and consistent in Marketing and Business Development Department systems; occasionally work on content development projects such as representative client lists.
- Manage the library of past and current proposals as well as standardized RFP responses.
- Assist with tracking pitch and proposal outcomes.
- Ensure that documents are secure and in keeping with Firm standards.
- Responsible for communicating the progress of proposals to the Senior Pitch and Proposal Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, English or Business and five or more years’ related experience are required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior experience working in a large law firm is strongly preferred.
- Computer proficient with excellent technological skills including proficiency in Excel, Word and Power Point. Experience with HTML strongly preferred. Database management skills are required.
- Must be an excellent writer with the ability to effectively articulate value proposition and practice/attorney differentiation. Attention to detail and precision in both thinking and written work product are important.
- Experience responding to government issued RFPs is a plus.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter, exhibit a high degree of initiative and intellectual curiosity.
- Must possess strong independent judgment in order to establish and manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment.
- Outstanding interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy, in order to maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of attorneys and business professionals.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills that support strong problem-solving capabilities are necessary.
- Excellent project and time management skills in order to develop project plans, coordinate projects, communicate changes and progress, complete projects on time and manage project team activities.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection and system information. Ability to compile and analyze complex data and furnish concise, detailed information in report format, written correspondence, e-mail or verbally.
- Ability to understand and support the Firm’s goals, services, culture and strategy in order to represent the Firm in a positive, professional manner.