Senior Business Analyst
Location : Chicago, IL
Job Type : Temp/Contract
Hours : Full Time
Required Years of Experience : 4+
Required Education : Bachelor's Degree
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Description :
Summary of role:
- The Senior Business Analyst is responsible for documenting and managing business requirements, specifications, business processes changes and recommendations related to the proposed solution using industry standard analysis techniques such as data flow modeling, workflow analysis, user stories, business requirements documents, and use cases. The Senior Business Analyst will advise business and technical teams on options, risks, and costs of implementing requirements and solutions.
- The Senior Business Analyst will frequently interact with the business stakeholders to understand the processes associated with each functional area and their interactions with the various systems. Additionally, the Senior Business Analyst must be able to communicate requirements to the technical teams.
- The Senior Business Analyst must have the ability to influence teams as well as the ability to act as a project manager or quality assurance tester based on project demands.
- Work with business stakeholders to identify, assess and document business and technical requirements, considering the implications to the current state environment. Work with a Manager or Lead Business Analyst to also consider the future state environment. Exceptional attention to detail is demonstrated.
- Conduct user workshops to understand and define requirements. Document requirements using format(s) appropriate for initiative, such as user stories, business requirement documents (BRDs), process/workflow diagrams, mock-ups, etc. Is comfortable challenging business stakeholders and able to provide alternate solutions when necessary.
- Understand application system data relationships. When applicable, develop and run SQL queries to facilitate this understanding.
- When appropriate to help illustrate requirements, develop process diagrams, page wireframes or page mock-ups. Mentor new or less experienced Business Analysts as needed.
- Understand the high level business strategy and apply this knowledge to creation of roadmaps and prioritization of requirements/user stories.
- Facilitate solution design sessions and decisions utilizing a solid grasp of business initiatives.
- For Waterfall initiatives, when a Project Manager is not available, create and maintain project plans, track and report on initiative progress, and manage issues/risks. For Agile efforts, function as a proxy for the product owner as needed to create and maintain a backlog of groomed and prioritized user stories for all assigned Agile teams.
- Acquire an understanding of business drivers and priorities through engagement with business stakeholders. Apply knowledge gained to help prioritize requirements/user stories across initiatives/backlogs in partnership with business stakeholders.
- Engage with business stakeholders in the day-to-day functioning of Agile teams to communicate and resolve blockers, reprioritize user stories and communicate iteration statuses to a broader group of stakeholders.
- Participate in the various processes of an Agile team that support product delivery (daily stand-ups, sprint/release planning, solution demos, etc.).
- Exhibits deep understanding of a business unit within the enterprise and how that business unit relates to others in the value chain.
- Conduct research and assist with the determination of solution alternatives.
- Working with Senior IT staff, assist with the analysis of the impact of the proposed solution across the infrastructure, application development and business areas.
- Contribute a technical and/or process perspective during design reviews.
- As needed, assist Quality Assurance team in translating requirements/user stories into test scenarios, plans, and/or acceptance criteria.
- In support of the Quality Assurance team, participate in initiative testing as needed.
- Meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Required Qualifications :
- 4 to 7 years in Business Analysis, Quality Assurance, Development, Project Management or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Visio) and working knowledge of various tools used in managing Agile initiatives (VSTS/Jira/Rally/etc.).
- Experience with more than one software development methodology (Agile, Waterfall, XP, Lean, etc.).
- When assigned waterfall-methodology initiatives, demonstrate capability to complete business analysis on four to six mid- to large-sized initiatives at any one time. When assigned to Agile-methodology initiatives, demonstrate capability to prioritize and complete business analysis as needed in support of a two to three scrum teams.
- Demonstrate ability to persuasively communicate complex business concepts for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Strong communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner.
- Comfortable communicating to mid-senior levels of management and business customers.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills; able to elicit cooperation from management and other departments.
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Advanced analytical and critical thinking skills. Be able to synthesize data from various units to create a big picture view of issues. With a Manager or more experienced Business Analyst, use this big picture view to deliver strategy recommendations to influence technology decision-making.
- Superior time management skills.
- Knowledge and experience in all phases of the development life cycle.
- Some technical skills in SQL, knowledge of development methodologies, and understanding of QA process.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; a self-initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of work records.
- Adaptable and quickly able to react to change.
- Strong business and stakeholder relationship building experience.
- Mentoring development team members in Agile methodologies and processes. Serves as a champion for Agile delivery methods across the department and organization.
- Must be able to maintain good rapport with all departments.
- Able to succeed within a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be able to manage multiple initiatives/backlogs while separating mission critical from the non-strategic initiatives with some supervision.
- Be on time and with a minimal amount of absence.
- With support from management, able to make decisions with regards to complex and/or difficult problems. Must be able to work within established procedures/frameworks to make decisions that positively impact the department or enterprise.
- Ability to persevere with tenacity.
- Must be fearless in tackling issues and challenges as they arise; does not avoid confrontation.
- Must be able to act with honor, character and integrity.