Senior Linux System Engineer
Our Linux Engineers work relentlessly to improve, refine, and support all layers of our technology stack. “Status quo” is not in your vocabulary. You strive to automate every process, building scalable solutions on a foundation of visibility, stability, and security.
How does your typical week break down?
- Execution - 60%
Turning ideas into action through coding and infrastructure support. It’s all about getting stuff done! You are proactive to turn thoughts and conversations into results.
- Teamwork / Communication - 30%
Regular team meetings to discuss current and long term projects. Daily peer reviews, task pairing, participate in the on-call rotation, and most important... document everything.
- Innovation - 10%
Plan, research, evaluate, propose! Consistently demonstrate the importance of investing time now to exponentially save time and resources later.
- Ability to use and quickly acclimate to a wide array of technologies and tools with a focus on open-source
- Logging: Syslog, Graylog, Fluent, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kabana
- Infrastructure: F5-LTM, JunOS, Multi-path iSCSI, Fiber-Channel
- Services: Apache, Unbound, Postfix, Ssh, Kerberos, MySQL, PostgreSQL, HAProxy, etcd, consul
- Ability to code and script -- emphatic with incremental development, testing and deployments.
- Languages: python, ruby, bash, go
- Tools/Process: git, continuous-integration, continuous-deployment
- Development philosophy: test-driven design, convention over config, dependency injection, DRY, rapid prototype, service-oriented
- Experience with a variety of operating systems and technologies to support a diverse environment.
- RHEL , CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
- Dell, Juniper, F5, NetApp, Compellent, Equalogic
- Proxmox, KVM, QEMU
- Strong grasp of automation tools
- Chef, Puppet, Ansible
- Done CI, Gradle, BuildBot, Gitlab CI
- Self-starter/Self-regulated – you don’t need to ask what to do next.
- Execute projects with minimal direction.
- Organized, concise, efficient
Collaborative – breaching functional borders.
Interpersonal skills are a must!
Strong focus on business outcomes.
Consistently developing knowledge of the business and our impact in the market.
Fast forward by six months, what will the successful person in this position have achieved?
Design, document, and implement an automated unit-testing for a real-time configuration management system.