Senior Platform Engineer
This position will be a key role in creating the foundation for a cloud migration and building a hybrid cloud infrastructure. As the Platform Systems Engineer you will help architect and design a cloud environment and guiding our current platform to the next level.
Engineers on this team are responsible for platform system engineering and administration, configuration management, containers, orchestration, virtualization, and storage. This team is also responsible for maintaining infrastructure applications such as Kafka, MongoDB, MQ, ELK, monitoring applications (such as Prometheus, Grafana, Check_mk, and others) and various other core infrastructure applications.
You will work closely with the other members of the Engineering teams and the Dev Operations team to ensure our applications are always available and performant. You will perform infrastructure maintenance, administration, monitoring and documentation tasks. You will provide support for production, development, test, and staging environments
What you’ll do all day:
- Provide initial system design for new projects based on technical requirements across one or more infrastructure disciplines. (e.g. Cloud Migration, Kubernetes, Storage, etc.)
- Partner with Software Engineering and Platform teams to complete technology selection, including leading proof of concept activities.
- Ensure high performance and reliability of productions systems by performing system monitoring and analysis, performance tuning, and troubleshooting system hardware, software, and applications.
- Liaise with vendors, business partners, and IT personnel to understand problems and provide solutions.
- Design and create automation to execute tasks and/or processes using scripting languages (Java, PERL, Python).
- Maintain and enhance the configuration management and IaaS platforms. (SaltStack, Ansible, CloudBolt, etc.)
- Operate and continuously improve Linux/Windows systems engineering and administration.
- Partner with Software Engineering teams to develop proactive maintenance plans, schedule maintenance windows, implement the changes, and follow-up.
- Implement and manage support procedures for incidents across all IT systems.
- Documenting policies, procedures and systems architecture.
- Mentor and cross train other team members in technology areas of expertise.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Cloud environments (i.e. cloud migration, cloud management, cloud architect).
- 5+ years' hands on Linux/Windows Engineering and Administration.
- 5+ years' hand on experience with infrastructure related software, including VMWare, noSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB), containerization (e.g. docker), orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes), SAN storage and backup.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Ansible, Puppet, Chef or SaltStack).
- Experience writing and maintaining python/shell/other scripts that automate tech operations.
- Experience with VMware or another virtualization technology.
- Experience with Dell server hardware.
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with strong attention to detail.
- May need to aggressively learn new skills to keep up with cutting edge technologies and evolving skill sets.
- Operate with a sense of purpose and urgency.
- Be passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation.
- Will be required to work in a team environment with much collaboration.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Expected to respond to alerts and outages; participate in periodic 24x7 on-call schedule.
- Ability to work flexible shifts and days of the week including weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Ability to travel, as necessary.
- Provide top notch, responsive customer service to internal and external clients.
- Experience in a regulated industry strongly preferred.
- Financial Industry experience a plus.