VoIP Telecom Engineer
The Voice Telecom Product Engineer position performs the analysis and design activities related to a medium to high level of network and VoIP architecture and includes responsibility for the daily management of company’s VoIP products, provisioning of new services & product development. This position requires the ability to move rapidly between multiple projects and various levels of tasks. This position requires a strong technical background, general business knowledge, and the ability to routinely interact with various staff, management and customers. This individual must be able to work independently and drive to improve processes and technology within the department and the businesses growth strategy.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, but are not limited to:
Medium to high-level problem-solving support, analysis and resolution
Provide medium to high level technical support for all aspects of the voice infrastructure including Voice Soft Switches, Session Boarder Controllers and Management Platforms.
Develop plans and strategies to improve performance and reliability to systems, develops proof of concepts (POC).
Work directly with technical staff, engineering and business personnel, documenting all changes to voice network.
Work with Sr. Voice Engineer on projects that involve voice infrastructure support
Expected to manage and address mid/large-size projects independently and coordinate team member participation as needed.
Project and status communication for Bulk Phone Roll Outs and DID Phone Number Porting
Communicates change management with customers
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4-plus years of VoIP / IT related experience
- 4-plus years of hand's-on Asterisk experience is preferred
- Hand's on experience programming / setting up Polycom Soundpoint or VVX series phones is preferred (Nice to have, not a must)
- Expert Linux / Unix admin skills is very desirable
- CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCVP certification desirable
- Expert understanding of Network and Voice concepts and terminology to include, VLANS, Interior and Exterior Routing Protocols (OSPF,BGP), Voice over IP (SIP, H323), Voice Switch Configuration (Asterisk, Enswitch, Meta Switch, SANSAY), Quality of Service(COS/DSCP), WLAN, MPLS, DNS, DHCP, Data Center Design
- Expertise in network security and cross functional security related to Voice Infrastructure
- Expertise in integrated voice, data and video solutions design and support, including paging systems, Mediatrix products, T-1's, ATA's, fax protocols, etc.
- Expertise in VoIP monitoring/debug tools (VoIP Monitor) and Wire Shark analysis
- Experience in large IP telephony deployments and voice carrier soft-switches
- Competency with Routing and Switching protocols, design concepts and configuration
- Competency on firewall and Internet content filtering solutions
- Strong verbal communication and technical writing skills
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- We are in the vibrant West Loop neighborhood with easy accessibility to mass transit as well as food/drink options
- Building access to rooftop deck for summer meetings, lunches, and company get togethers
- Multiple medical/dental/vision health benefit options offered
- 401(K) savings plan
- Competitive PTO